BELGIAN BLUE BREED LEADING INDUSTRIAL CROSSBREEDING BREED
The advantages of pure bred Belgian Blue :
- homozygous breed for the double-muscle gene: mh
- early puberty breed: calving at 2 years
- exceptionally fine bones
- carcass yield up to 70 %
- beef yield around 80 % with a high level of prime cuts (top and hind quarter)
- meat quality: lean, low cholesterol content and tender.
The double -muscle gene: mh
The double-muscle gene is naturally present in the Belgian Blue population, as it is in many beef cattle breeds.
It was in the 1960s that the selectors decided to specialise in this beef cattle.
*Subtitles are available in your language. Click on the “Sous-titres” button at the bottom of the video to activate them
Selection focused on the production of homozygous animals for this gene, i.e. mh/mh.
Today all the BB beef cattle population is homozygous for the double-muscle gene.
Consequently, in crossbreeding, the progeny are necessarily heterozygous for the gene, which is then expressed and produces better crossbreeding results.
|Dam other than BB||+||+|
- Transmission of double-muscle gene